Henry County is named for Patrick Henry, who was a governor of Virgin.
Created: December 13, 1834
Clinton 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Clinton
Location: 100 West Franklin Street / North Main Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Frederick C Gunn and Louis S Curtis of Kansas City
Contractor: D J Hyde ( Hayde ) and Company of Sedalia
Description: The building faces north and is a three story Warrensburg sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The building is 96 feet by 71 feet. The north front has three large arches on the first story at the entrance. Above are narrow vertical windows rising to a peaked roof line. There are long vertical windows on either side of the center section. There are large square towers on each corner with peaked roofs. The roof is hipped. The clock tower was removed in 1969.
Note: The first courthouse was built by John Mercer in 1837 at a cost of $2,565. The building was razed in 1887. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $47,221.
N – Johnson County
S – St. Clair County
Photos taken 2009