Dent County is named for Lewis Dent, who was a pioneer settler in the region.
Created: February 10, 1851
Salem 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Salem
Location: 400 North Main Street / East 5th Street
Built: 1870 – 1871
Style: French Renaissance
Architect: Mahlon Randolph of Randolph Brothers of St. Louis
Contractor: A E Dye
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. and has a square tower with mansard roof topped by cresting and open dormer windows. At the base of the tower is an arched entrance leading to a central hall. In 1896 to 1897, a one story addition was added on the east side and in 1911, the addition was increased to two stories. Renovations were made ion 1976.
Note: The first courthouse was built by J T Garvin in 1852 to 1853 at a cost of $800. The second courthouse was built in 1864 and burned in May 1866. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $15,500.
S – Shannon County
Photos taken 2009