Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: December 11, 1818
Greenville 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Greenville
Location: 109 Walnut Street / Parkway Street
Built: 1941– 1943
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Eugene S Johnson and Albert Maack of St. Louis
Contractor: Eugene S Johnson and Albert Maack of St. Louis
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The southeast front has a projecting center section with narrow vertical brick divisions between the vertical windows. The entrance is framed with stone. There are east and west wings. The roof line is flat. This was a Works Projects Administration project.
Note: A courthouse was built in 1849 and burned in 1854. The next courthouse was built in 1856 at a cost of $2,500. The building was rebuilt by C Lindeman and Son of Cape Girardeau in 1893 at a cost of $7000. In 1925, the next courthouse was designed by Martin Laubis of Poplar Bluff.
S – Butler County
Photos taken 2009