Caldwell County is named for John Caldwell, who was an Indian scout; John Caldwell, who was from Kentucky; or Mathew Caldwell, who was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Created: December 29, 1836
Far West 1836 – 1842
Kingston 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Kingston
Location: 49 East Main Street / North Washington Street
Style: French Chateau
Architect: L Grant Middaugh of Kansas City
Contractor: Stanberry Press Brick Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored pressed brick structure. The building is 74 by 69 feet. The south front has two rounded towers with the main entrance in the center with a large rounded portico with balcony on the second story. On the east and west sides, the centre section projects slightly and rises above the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with glass windows. There is stone trim above the windows and doorways. J W Harper, presiding judge, acted as superintendent of construction.
Note: The first courthouse was a school in Far West used in 1836 as the courthouse. The second courthouse was built in Kingston in 1843. The third courthouse was built by Hawkins Green in 1847 or 1854. The building burned on April 19, 1860. The fourth courthouse was built in 1860 by J A Crump and George A Kice of Lexington at a cost of $20,000. The building burned on November 28, 1896. The cost opf construction of the present courthouse was $24,827.
N – Daviess County
S – Ray County
Photos taken 2009