Livingston County

US States / M / Missouri / Livingston County
Livingston

Livingston County is named for Edward Livingston, who was a prominent American jurist and statesman who was influential in the drafting of the Louisiana Civil Code of 1825.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Grundy County

E – Linn County and Chariton County

S – Carroll County

W – Caldwell County and Daviess County

 

Created:  January 6, 1837                      Map of Missouri highlighting Livingston County

County Seat:

Chillicothe  1837 – present

 

County Courthouse – Chillicothe

 

Location:  700 Webster Street / North Washington Street

Built:  1913 – 1914

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  R Warren Roberts and George Saase

Contractor:  L W Dumas Jr. Construction Company of Columbia

 

Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray coloured Bedford stone, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the Public Square in the center of Chillicothe. The building is 80 feet by 100 feet. Along each side are five columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. Each entrance has four columns supporting a small balcony on the second story. The first story has horizontal stone work. There is a balustrade around the roof line with clocks on each side. In the interior, the walls of the corridors and lobbies are wainscoted with marble and the floors of the vestibule, corridors and lobbies of the first, second and third stories are covered by ceramic title. The wood trim is red oak. The main stairway is made of ornamental iron and marble. The courtroom is 71 feet wide by 53 feet deep with the seats being circular. The building houses the County Circuit Court. 

 

Note:  The exterior of the courthouse building was faced throughout with oolitic limestone from the quarries of the Consolidated Stone Company of Bedford, Indiana. The interior walls and the outside walls back of the stone are made of hard burned vitrified building brick, manufactured by the Moberly Paving Brick Company, of Moberly.

 

See:  The architect, R Warren Roberts also designed the counrthouse in Ray County.

 

See:  The 43rd Judicial District covers Caldwell County, Clinton CountyDaviess County, DeKalb County and Liningston County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1837 and Chillicothe was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was an 18 foot square log structure built at a cost of $50. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Moses Burton on the public square in 1840 to 1841 at a cost of $5,600. In 1864, the building was condemned as unsafe. The county occupied different buildings and the public square remained empty. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1913 to 1914 at a cost of $100,000.

 

 

0504m09

County Courthouse – Chillicothe

 

 

0505m09

 

 

0506m09

 

 

0507m09

 

 

0508m09

 

 

0509m09

 

 

0510m09

Photos taken 2009