Clinton County is named for DeWitt Clinton, who was a Governor of New York and an advocate for the construction of the Erie Canal.
Created: January 2, 1833
Concord 1833 – 1834
Plattsburg 1834 – present
County Courthouse – Plattsburg
Location: 207 North Main Street / East Locust Street
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: Homer Williams of Reed and Williams of Kansas City and Architects Design Collaborative Inc.
Contractor: Pool and Canfield Inc. of Kansas City.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, glass and cement structure. The main entrance is on the north side of the second story. There is a small portico supported by brick walls at the entrance. The first story runs down the side of the hill. Raised widows run along the high part of the roof line in the center of the building.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1834 and the building was repaired in 1848. The second courthouse was designed by Peter McDuff and was built by William C Black under the supervision of Hervey Whittington at a cost of $27,050 in 1859. The building was damaged in a fire on April 15, 1895. The third courthouse was designed by C P Schmidt and was built by John T Neil under the supervision of Stephen Collins at a cost of $12,985 in 1895. The building was damaged by fire on June 14, 1974 and was demolished. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $827,235.
N – DeKalb County
S – Clay County
Photos taken 2009