Carroll County is named for Charles Carroll, who was a delegate to the Continental Congress and a United States Senator for Maryland, or for Charles Carroll of Carrollton.
Created: November 16, 1820
Carrollton 1827 – present
County Courthouse – Carrollton
Location: 8 South Main Street / West Benton Street
Built: 1902 – 1904
Architect: Robert G Kirsch of Kirsch and Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Contractor: John Scott and Sons of Lancaster
Description: The building faces east and is a two story course stone structure. The east front has a projecting center section with large arch with two stone columns at the first story entrance and large arched window on the second story. The center section rises to a peak above the roof line. The roof is hipped.
Note: The first courthouse was built by William Glaze in 1834 at a cost of $273.50. The second courthouse was built in 1839 to 1843 at a cost of $4,000. In 1855, a cupola was built by Thomas Tweedy. Joseph Troxel was hired to complete the work in 1957. The third courthouse was constructed in 1867 by Jacobs, Farris and Company for a cost of $12,350. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $45,900.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Carroll County Courthouse
E – Chariton County
Photos taken 2009