Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 9, 1811
Boise Bluff 1811 – 1827
Leakesville 1827 – present
County Courthouse – Leakesville
Location: 400 Main Street / Lafayette Avenue
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco and Art Moderne
Architect: Landry and Matthes
Contractor: Newton & Schmoll
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. This was a Works Project Administration project. The southwest front has a central entrance on the first story, The second story has large vertical windows and the third story is a white color with small windows and clock in the center. The roof line is flat. There are two story wings on the southeast and northwest sides and a one story buff colored wing on the northwest side.
Note: The first courthouse was the log Post Office in Boise Bluff in 1811. The second courthouse was a wood structure built in Leakesville in 1827 The building was destroyed by fire on March 23, 1873. The third courthouse was constructed but was destroyed by fire in in 1898. The fourth courthouse was designed and constructed by A B Hull and W S Hull in 1899.
County Justice Court – Leakesville
Location: 416 Main Street / McInnis Avenue
Built: 2009 – 2010
Architect: Batson & Brown Inc.
Contractor: Clark Brothers Construction Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the west of the courthouse. The southwest front has a long porch supported by six white colored pillars. The center has a large glass window with entrances on either side. The roof is hipped.
N – Wayne County
S – George County
W – Perry County
County Justice Court
Photos taken 2012