Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: June 4, 1800
St. Stephens 1800 – 1907
Chatom 1800 – present
County Courthouse – Chatom
Location: 45 Court Street / Central Avenue
Architect: T Cooper Van Antwerp of Mobile
Contractor: F B Bear Jr. of Montgomery
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brick, glass and concrete structure. The east front has a recessed central entrance with a dark red colored marble slab running up to the roof line. On either side of the marble are red colored brick walls and on either side of them are large white colored concrete grill panels with a large window on the north and south. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 2000 to 2001. The architect was Hall-Baubauer Architects of Mobile and the contractor was Hagan Construction Company, Inc. of Montgomery.
Note: A courthouse was designed and built by Levin Jeffferson Wilson in 1854. The building is still standing. The previous courthouse was designed by William S Hull and constructed by Southern Structural Steel Company in 1907.
N – Choctaw County
S – Mobile County
Photos taken 2009