Perry County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry, who was a Commodore in the United States navy and who defeated the British in the decisive Battle of Lake Erie in 1813.
Created: February 3, 1820
New Augusta 1820 – present
County Courthouse – New Augusta
Location: 101 Main Street / 2nd Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: William S Hull of Jackson
Contractor: McGee and Garber
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brickstructure. The east front has a projecting center section with a large portico having three arches on the first story and four columns rising to a pediment with circular window at the roof line. The windows have stone trim at the top and are vertical and narrow. The roof is hipped. An addition was built on the southwest side in 1992. The architect was Albert & Lewis and the contractor was Finlo Construction Company Inc.
W – Forrest County
Photos taken 2012