Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Created: December 18, 1812
Pascagoula 1812 – present
County Courthouse – Pascagoula
Location: 3104 Magnolia Street / Watts Avenue
Built: 1948 – 1949
Style: Art Deco and Stripped Classical
Architect: Carl L Olschner
Contractor: W K Upchurch Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a projecting center section with vertical dividers between the windows and with the entrances on the first story. Bas-relief sculptures flank the simplified portico. One sculpture depicts fishermen while the other shows construction laborers, perhaps implying the change from a simple maritime economy to a more industrialized base. A north and south wing extend behind the center section. The roof line is flat. Lester C Winterton was the consulting engineer.
N – George County
E – Mobile County, Alabama
S – Gulf of Mexico
W – Harrison County
Photos taken 2011