George County is named for James Zachariah George, who was an American military officer, lawyer, writer and politician.
Created: March 16, 1810
Lucedale 1810 – present
County Courthouse – Lucedale
Location: 355 Cox Street / Summer Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: McCrary and Slater
Contractor: F B Hull Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has a large portico with four high white columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The first story entrance is arched with recessed doors. The east and west sections project slightly. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with red roof. The building was renovated and addition added in 1974 to 1975 on the south side. The addition is one story and is connected to the courthouse on the north side. The architect was W W Easley II of Jackson and the contractor was E H Cropp of Escatawpa.
County Justice Court Building – Lucedale
Location: 368 Cox Street / Manila Street
Description: The building faces south and is a one story concrete structure. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Lucedale
Location: 329 Ratiff Street / Summer Street
Built: 2009 – 2010
Architect: G Lamas Architects of Biloxi
Contractor: Roy Lewis Construction Corporation of Mobile, Alabama
Description: The building faces north and is a one story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. On the northwest corner is a two story square section with clock. A porch runs along the exterior supported by white pillars. The roof is hipped.
N – Greene County
E – Mobile County, Alabama
S – Jackson County
Photos taken 2011