Mobile County is named for Mobile Bay on which it located and is named after the Maubila Native American tribe.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Baldwin County
S – Gulf of Mexico
Created: December 18, 1812
Mobile 1812 – present
County Courthouse – Mobile
Location: 205 Government Street / South Joachin Street
Built: 1992 – 1994
Architect: Harry Golemon, Marlo Bulullo, Frederick C Woods & Associates and Harry Golemon Architects Inc.
Contractor: Hardin Construction Group Inc. and Haston Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a six story concrete and glass structure. The north front has large square glass panels. The entrance is located at the northwest corner and is recessed. On the south side, the building rises to two glass towers with extended roofs. The building has a large interior atrium. The building is named as the Mobil Government Plaza and houses the County Court, County Administration and City of Mobil offices.
History: The first courthouse was built in Mobile after 1812 and burned in 1823. The second courthouse also burned in 1840 as did the third courthouse which burned in 1872. The fourth courthouse was built in in 1873. The fifth courthouse was designed by Rudolph Benz and constructed by Louis Mann in 1889. The sixth courthouse was designed by Thomas Cooper Van Antwerp in 1958 and was demolished in 2005. The seventh and present courthouse was constructed in 1992 to 1994.
Note: The lowest point in Alabama is the Gulf of Mexico at sea level which is located in the county.
County Courthouse ( Mobil Government Plaza ) – Mobil
Photos taken 2011