Clay County is named for Henry Clay, who was an American statesman, U.S. Senator and Congressman from Kentuc\cky 1806-1852, U.S. Secretary of State 1825-1829, three times Speaker of the House and three times candidate for president.
Created: May 12, 1871
West Pont 1871 – present
County Courthouse – West Point
Location: 205 Court Street / East Jordan Street
Built: 1957 – 1958
Architect: Fort, White & Johnston
Contractor: Building Service Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick and concrete structure. The building is rectangular and located on landscapred grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a central entrance with framed doorway. The windows are vertical with silver colored panels between. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by A J Herrod and constructed by W C White and W S White in 1876.
N – Chickasaw County
W – Webster County
Picture 1876 Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2017