Monroe County

US States / M / Mississippi / Monroe County
1180M12

Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.

 

Created:  February 9, 1821

County Seat: 

Hamilton   1821 – 1847

Aberdeen  1847 – present

 

County Chancery Building – Aberdeen

 

Location:  201 West Commerce Street / Hickory Street

Built:  1885 – 1887

Style:  Victorian Romanesque

Architect:  Mifflin E Bell

Contractor:  McCarthy & Corbett

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and gray colored stone structure. The building is located in the center of Aberdeen. The north front has five large arches on the first story with a central recessed entrance. The windows on the second story are arched. The third story has five small arched windows and the building rises to a peak. On the east side is an entrance towards the north with the building rising to a peak. The building has a gabled roof. The courtroom is located on the second story. An addition was constructed on the south side in 1931 to 1932. In 1975 to 1976, the building was converted to a courthouse. The architect was Virden-Roberson-Harrison Ltd. of Columbus and the contractor was Wilemon Construction Company of Aberdeen.

 

Note:  The building was constructed as the United States Court House and Post Office. In 1975, the building was transferred to the county.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – US Court House and Post Office – Aberdeen

 

County Court House – Aberdeen

 

477f15

 

Location:  301 South Chestnut Street / East Madison Street

Built:  1857 – 1858

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  J A Pate and J B Taylor

Contractor:  Thomas J Davidson

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story white brick structure. The building is located on spacious grounds on the south side of the center of Aberdeen.  The main building is rectangular with a recessed central entrance on the north front and balcony on the second story. On the center of the roof is a high clock tower with clock and dome at the top. On the west side is a two story cream colored brick addition and on the east side is a one story cream colored addition. In 1892 a vault was installed. The contractor was Lindamood & Puckett. The building was repaired in 1938. The contractor was H W McKinney. In 1941 an annex was constructed on the west side. The contractor was Perry Construction Company. The building was restored in 2009. The architect was Belinda Stewart Architects and the contractor was Tombigbee Contractors, Inc.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Monroe County Court House

 

County Government Complex – Amory

 

1167m12

 

Location:  1619 Highland Drive / Guy Pickles Drive

Built:  1990 – 1991

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story concrete and glass structure.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Itawamba County

E – Marion County, Alabama and Lamar County, Alabama

S – Lowndes County

W – Clay County and Chickasaw County

 

 

 

1181m12

County Chancery Building – Aberdeen

 

 

1182m12

 

 

1183m12

 

 

1184m12

 

 

1185m12

 

 

1186m12

 

 

1572t17

 

 

1570t17

 

 

1571t17

 

 

1187m12

 

 

474f15

County Courthouse – Aberdeen

 

 

476f15

 

 

478f15

 

 

479f15

 

 

483f15

 

 

487f15

 

 

1581t17

 

 

1582t17

 

 

1583t17

 

 

1584t17

 

 

1585t17

 

 

1586t17

 

 

489f15

 

 

488f15

 

 

1591t17

 

 

1592t17

 

 

1171m12

County Government Complex – Amory

 

 

1172m12

Photos taken 2012, 2015 and 2017