Noxubee County is named for the Native American word meaning “stinking water”.
Created: December 23, 1833
Macon 1833 – present
County Courthouse – Macon
Location: 505 Jefferson Street / East Adams Street
Built: 1952 – 1953
Style: Modern Greek Revival
Architect: Johnston, Jones & Reynolds
Contractor: Hinton Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a large portico with six white columns rising to a wide pediment containing a clock in the center. A wide horizontal white colored band runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is an open octagonal cupola. On the north side of the courthouse is the old jail.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by W Chamberlin & Company and the contractor was Jett Brothers in 1900. The building burned in 1951.
S – Kemper County
W – Winston County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2012