Penobscot County is named for the Native Indian Tribe called “Penobscot”.
Created: February 15, 1816
Bangor 1816 – present
County Courthouse – Bangor
Location: 97 Hammond Street / Court Street
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Wilfred E Mansur
Contractor: Moses C Foster.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building has a portico with three stone arches on the first story and two columns rising to the pediment at the top of the third story. Behind the columns are high windows. The corners of the building are trimmed with stone. The roof is hipped. On the east side is the old red colored brick Sheriff Residence.
County Judicial Center – Bangor
Location: 78 Exchange Street / Hancock Street
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: WBRC Architects and Leers Weinzapfel Associates of Boston
Contractor: Consigli Construction Company, Inc. of Milford, Massachusetts
Description: The building faces north and is three story red colored brick and concrete structure. At the northwest corner is a circular tower with entrance on the first story. On the second and third stories, the windows are vertical with panels between. The roof line is flat.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Aroostook County
Old Sheriff Residence
County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2018