Hancock County is named for John Hancock, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1737 to 1793.
Created: June 25, 1789
Ellsworth 1790 – present
County Courthouse – Ellsworth
Location: 50 State Street / Church Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Architect: Arthur W McFarland
Contractor: Richard Kennedy
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. There are six Doric columns rising from the first story to the top of the second story with a stone balcony above at the third story. The front face of the building is limestone with a stone frame at the central entrance.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1886 and was destroyed by fire in 1929.
Old County Courthouse – Ellsworth
Location: 6 Court Street / Bucksport Road
Built: 1838 – 1839
Architect: John L Moore
Contractor: John L Moore
Description: The building faces northeast.and is a two story white colored wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and the northeast front has a long porch supported by six columns. The central entrance is arched. The roof is hipped. The building now houses an art gallery.
N – Penobscot County
S – Atlantic Ocean
W – Waldo County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006 and 2014