Piscataquis County is named for the Abenaki Native Indian word meaning “rapid water”, “branch of the river” or “at the branch of the river”.
Created: March 23, 1838
Dover 1838 – 1922
Dover-Foxcroft 1922 – present
County Courthouse – Dover-Foxcroft
Location: 159 East Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1844 – 1845
Architect: T H Chamberlain
Contractor: T H Chamberlain
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has a projecting one story central entrance on the first story with arched doorway and balcony on the second story, The building rises to a third story dormer at the roof line. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored wood cupola with green colored dome. The roof is hipped. The building is connected to the jail on the south side. In 1884 to 1886, the building was remodeled using the walls from the 1844 building. In 1956 an east two story red colored brick wing was constructed. The building was renovated in 1975. The former residence of Joseph B Peakes was remodeled in 1975 to provide a building for the District Court. An addition was constructed on the east side in 2011 to 2012. The main one story entrance on the east side has three large white colored pillars with recessed glass entrance. The architect was North Peak Architecture – Mark G Carter of Presque Isle and the contractor was Bowman Constructors of Newport.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed by in 1844 at a cost of $2900. The cost of the addition in 2012 was $3,275,750.
N – Aroostook County
W – Somerset County
Photos taken 2014