Waldo County

US States / M / Maine / Waldo County
0966NE14

Waldo County is named for Samuel Waldo, who was a colonial soldier in the siege of Louisburg in 1745.

 

Surrounding county Courthouses: 

N – Somerset County and Penobscot County

E – Hancock County

S – Knox County and Lincoln County

W – Kennebec County

 

Created:  February 7, 1827                                                        Map of Maine highlighting Waldo County

County Seat: 

Belfast  1827 – present

 

County Courthouse – Belfast  

 

Location:  137 Church Street / Market Street

Built:  1850 – 1854

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Benjamin S Deane and Edwin Lee Brown of Bangor

Contractor:  Edward Hawkes

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of Belfast. The southwest front has a central entrance on the second story framed with white colored pilasters and projecting header. The hipped roof has a pediment with a circular window. The building descends a hill on the northeast side. The northeast addition was constructed in 1899 to 1900. The architect was E F Fassett and the contractor was J S Randall.

 

See:  The architect, Benjamin S Deane and Edwin S Brown of Bangor also designed the courthouse in Washington County.

 

County Judicial Center – Belfast  

 

1665m18

 

Location:  11 Market Street / Church Street

Built:  2017 – 2019

Style:  Modern

Architect:  North Peak Architecture of Presque Isle

Contractor:  Ganneston Construction Corporation of Augusta

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of Belfast across from the courthouse. The southeast front has a high portico with a pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. The interior has a large courtroom on the first story. The building houses the Superior Court and the District Court. 

 

District Courthouse – Belfast  

 

1677m18

 

Location:  103 Church Street / Spring Street

Built:  1929 – 1930

Style:  Classical

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Belfast to the southeast of the courthouse. The southwest front has a central entrance on the second story, with small portico having four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building descends down a hill on the northeast side with the first story being at ground level. The roof is hipped. The District Court has now moved to the County Judicial Center. 

 

History:  The couinty was created in 1827 and Belfast became the county seat. A second story was built on the town hall to accommodate the court as the first courthouse. The second and present courthouse was built in 1850 to 1854 at a cost of $14,000. An addition was constructed in 1899 to 1900 at a cost of $20,000. A District Court courthouse was built in 1929 to 1930. The Justice Center was constructed in 2017 to 2017 at a cost of $17,000,000.

 

 

0963ne14

County Courthouse – Belfast

 

 

0964ne14

 

 

0965ne14

 

 

0967ne14

 

 

0962ne14

 

 

1666m18

County Judicial Center – Belfast

 

 

1667m18

 

 

1664m18

 

 

1676m18

District Courthouse – Belfast

 

 

1678m18

 

 

1679m18

 

 

1681m18

 

 

1682m18

Photos taken 2014 and 2018