Aroostook County is named for the Native American word meaning “beautiful river”.
Created: March 16, 1839
Houlton 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Houlton
Location: 26 Court Street / Military Street
Built: 1859 – 1860
Style: Italianate and Colonial Revival
Architect: Gridley James Fox Byrant of Boston, Massachusetts
Contractor: Harrison D Clement of Lawrence, Massachusetts
Description: The building faces west and is two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city center. The west front has a one story white colored portico art the central entrance. The center section projects slightly and rises to a peaked roof. The windows are arched. There is a mansard roof with a high square clock tower at the center with open white colored cupola at the top. In 1895, an addition was added to the building. The architect was Wilfred E Mansur. A further addition was added in 1928.
Other Branch Courthouses
E – New Brunswick, Canada
W – Quebec, Canada
Photos taken 2014