Oxford County

US States / M / Maine / Oxford County
0751NE14

Oxford County is named for the city of Oxford in the State of Massachusetts.

 

Surrounding County and Canada Courthouses: 

N – Quebec, Canada 

E – Franklin County and Androscoggin County

S – Cumberland County and York County

W – Carroll County, New Hampshire and Coos County, New Hampshire

 

Created:  March 4, 1805                                                             Map of Maine highlighting Oxford County

County Seat: 

Paris Hill      1805 – 1895

South Paris  1895 – present

 

County Courthouse – South Paris 

 

Location:  26 Western Avenue / Courthouse Road

Built:  1895 – 1896

Style:  Georgian

Architect:  G M Coombs of Lewiston

Contractor:  Joseph Philbrook of Lisbon

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red brick structure. The building sits at the top of a sloping hill on landscaped grounds in the center of South Paris. The east front has a large one story portico with large arch and recessed entrance. On the second story is a balcony and large arched window. Above is a pediment at the roof line with semi-circular window. The second story windows are arched. The roof is hipped with a small octagonal white colored cupola.. The courtroom is located on the second story. An addition was constructed on north side in 2018 to 2020. The architect was SRL Architects and the contractor was  Genneston Construction of Augusta. On the north side of the building is the modern red colored brick District Court and on the south side is the old red colored brick old jail..

 

History:  The county seat was designated as Paris Hill in 1805. The first court met in the Baptist meeting house in Paris Hill. The first courthouse was a two story brick structure built by Captain Jonathan Bemis in 1813 to 1815. In 1820 the Registry of Deeds was built in Fryeburg. The courthouse in Paris Hill was expanded in 1823 and 1864. A jailer’s residence was built in 1822 and new two story granite jail was built in 1823. A registry building was constructed in 1826. The county seat was moved to South Paris in 1895. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1895 to 1896. An addition was constructed in 2018 to 2019 at a cost of 9,520,000.

 

District Courthouse – South Paris 

 

1917m18

 

Location:  26 Western Avenue / Courthouse Road

Built:  1965 – 1966

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of South Paris with the courthouse on the south side. On the east front, the center section extends from the main building with a white colored entrance. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located in the center.

 

Other Branch Courthouse

 

Rumford

 

 

0749ne14

County Courthouse – South Paris

 

 

0750ne14

 

 

0752ne14

 

 

0753ne14

 

 

0755ne14

 

 

0754ne14

 

 

0756ne14

 

 

1891m18

 

 

1892m18

 

 

1893m18

 

 

1894m18

 

 

1895m18

 

 

1896m18

 

 

1897m18

 

 

1898m18

 

 

0759ne14

District Courthouse – South Paris

 

 

0758ne14

 

 

0760ne14

Photos taken 2014 and 2018