Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: May 9, 1838
Farmington 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Farmington
Location: 140 Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1885 – 1886
Style: High Victorian and Italianate
Architect: George M Coombs
Contractor: Moses C Foster & Son
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has center sections on the south, west and north sides which rise to peaks at the roof line. The southeast front has a large one story arched porch. The windows on the second story are arched. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with green colored dome. The building was remodeled in 1958. The architect was Alonzo J Harriman and the contractor was K & H Foster Inc. The Annex on the northwest side was built in 1917. The architect was Harry S Cooms and the contractor was Joseph W Mathiew. On the southwest side of the building is the Superior Court housed in a one story red colored brick commercial building.
District Courthouse – Farmington
Location: 129 Main Street / Park Street
Description: The building faces northeast and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located northwest from the courthouse. The front of the building has a porch with brick pillars. The roof lie is flat.
N – Quebec, Canada
E – Somerset County
W – Oxford County
Photos taken 2014 and 2018