Cumberland County is named for Prince William Augustus, who was the Duke of Cumberland and the son of King George II of Great Britain.
Created: March 28, 1760
Portland 1761 – present
County Courthouse – Portland
Location: 142 Federal Street / Pearl Street
Built: 1906 – 1910
Architect: Guy Lowell of Boston, Massachusetts and George Burnham of Portland
Contractor: F W Cunningham & Sons of Portland
Description: The building faces northwest and is a four story granite structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The northwest front has a central entrance on the second story and four columns rising from the third story to a header at the roof line. The northwest corner and the southwest corner have two columns and rise to pediments at the roof line. Rising above the roof is a stone crest. The south side has four columns rising from the second story to a header at the roof line. On the north and east sides is the new three story addition e story added in 1988 to 1991. The architect was Terrien Architects Inc. and the contractor was RCL, Inc. The building houses the Maine Supreme Court.
Note: The contractor, F W Cunningham & Sons of Portland constructed many building in Portland including the United States Courthouse designed by James Knox Taylor in 1911 and which is located south of the County Courthouse.
Note: A courthouse was built in 1786. The next courthouse was designed by John Kimball and built by Sheriff Hunnewell, Barrett Potter and Albert Newhall.in 1816. A courthouse was designed by James H Rand of Boston and constructed by William Willis in 1858 to 1862. The building was destroyed by fire. In 1866, the previous courthouse was designed by F H Fassett and constructed and was destroyed by fire in 1908.
Maine Supreme Court
Description: The Maine Supreme Court is housed in the Cumberland County Courthouse. The Supreme Court courtroom is located on the west side of the second story
Other Branch Courthouse
E – Sagadahoc County
S – Atlantic Ocean
W – York County
Photos taken 2014 and 2018