Coos County is named for an Algonquin word meaning “small pines”.
Created: October 24, 1803
Lancaster 1803 – present
County Courthouse – Lancaster
Location: 55 School Street / Main Street
Built: 1995 – 1997
Architect: Keith Hemingway
Contractor: E F Wall & Associates
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The first store is faced with pink colored stone with the entrance portico having two square openings and a large opening on the south side. The center section projects with horizontal windows on the second and third stories with hipped roof with peak rising behind. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Lancaster
Location: 150 Main Street / School Street
Built: 1886 – 1887
Architect: H J Preston
Contractor: Mead, Mason & Company.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The east front has a large square projecting tower with arch entrance on the first story, dual arched windows on the second story and large arched window on the third story. The roof of the tower is mansard. The building has arched windows on the first story and long arched windows on the second story. The roof is hipped. The building is now an office building.
County Courthouse – Berlin
Location: 650 Main Street / Abenaki Street
Built: 2010 – 2011
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story gray-blue structure. The northwest front had a projecting center section with arched window on the second story and with one story porticos on each side supported by white colored columns. The building has siding with white colored trim. The roof is hipped.
Note: The previous red colored brick structure was torn down and replaced by the present building.
Old County Courthouse – Berlin
Location: 220 Main Street / Mason Street
Built: 1905– 1906
Architect: John Spofford of Spofford and Eastman, Architects of Boston
Contractor: A N Gilbert
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The northwest front has a central one story portico supported by four columns. The center section of the building is recessed. Above the portico is a central window on the second story with single arched windows on either side. The projecting corner sections have small third story windows. Horizontal cornices run between the first and second stories and below the roof line. The roof is hipped. The foundation of the building is course stone. The building stands vacant.
N – Quebec, Canada
E – Oxford County, Maine
Photos taken 2014