Livingston Parish is named for Edward Livingston, who was the United States Secretary of State.
Created: February 10, 1832
Van Buren 1832 – 1835
Springfield 1835 – 1872
Port Vincent 1872 – 1881
Centerville ( Springfield ) 1881 – 1941
Livingston 1941 – present
Old Parish Courthouse – Livingston
Location: 29850 South Magnolia Street / Iowa Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Art Deco
Architect: William R Burk
Contractor: J K Fraser
Description: The building faces north and is a two story stone and buff colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The north front has a high center section which projects from the main building and has stone facing around the first story entrance. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed in 1970. The building is presently vacant.
Parish Courthouse – Livingston
Location: 20300 Government Road / South Frost Street
Built: 2012 – 2014
Architect: Grace Hebert Architects and Labarre Architects
Contractor: Cangelosi Ward General Contractors of Baton Rouge
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds of the Parish Government Complex. The east front has a high central section with recessed entrance on the first story and recessed glass panels on the second and third stories. The north and south wings are recessed. The roof line is flat. The interior lobby rises three stories.
Parish Council Building – Livingston
Location: 20355 Government Road / South Frost Street
Built: 2008 – 2010
Architect: Labarre Architects
Contractor: Stuart and Company General Contractors
Description: The building faces south and is a two story cream colored concrete structure. The building is located on the spacious landscaped grounds of the Parish Government Complex. The south front has a central section with recessed entrance on the first story and rising to an arched section rising above the roof line. The first story has a recessed porch. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Springfield in 1835. A courthouse was built in Port Vincent in 1872 and then in Centerville in 1881. Centerville was located west of Springfield along highway 42 at Jack Gayle Road.
Other Old Historic Courthouses
Photos taken 2011 and 2017