Ascension Parish is named for the Ascension of Our Lord Roman Catholic Church in Donaldson.
Created: March 31, 1807
Donaldsonville 1807 – present
Parish Courthouse – Donaldsonville
Location: 30 Houmas Street / Nicholas Street
Built: 1888– 1889
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Jason Freret
Contractor: Building Committee
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The east front has a large arch on the first story with a square red colored brick clock tower rising above the entrance. The roof is hipped. The building burned in 1889 and was rebuilt by the Building Committee and the architect was Jason Freret. The building was renovated 1n 1938. The architect was Budeman & Murrell and the contractor was R P Farnsworth & Company, Inc. The building was renovated 1n 1982. The architect was Perez Associates and Studio Four. The building was enlarged in 2006. The architect was Henry L Chavin Architect LLC and the contractor was Stafford Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1810 and the second courthouse was designed by Henry Howard and built by George Weldon in 1846. The third courthouse was built by Thomas Supple in 1867 and burned in 1889. The Building Committee oversaw the construction of the present courthouse.
W – Iberville Parish
Photos taken 2011