Tangipahoa Parish is named for the Acolapissa Native American word meaning “ear of corn” or “those who gather corn”.
Created: March 6, 1868
Amite 1868 – present
Parish Courthouse – Amite
Location: 100 South Bay Street / East Mulberry Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Desmond Miremont & Associates and J C Kersten & Associates
Contractor: Polk Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The west front has a recessed entrance on the first story. On the second story is a large glass wall with vertical dividers on both sides. Above is a large concrete section. On the north and south are buff colored brick walls. The roof line is flat.
Note: A courthouse was built in 1883. The previous courthouse was designed and constructed by F B Hull Construction Company in 1908.
Photos taken 2011