East Baton Rouge Parish is named for “baton rouge” being French words meaning “red stick” referring to a tall cypress tree stripped of its bark and draped with freshly killed animals that marked the boundary between the hunting grounds of two Indian tribes in 1699.
Created: December 22, 1810
Baton Rouge 1810 – present
District Courthouse – Baton Rouge
Location: 300 North Boulevard / St. Louis Street
Built: 2005 – 2007
Architect: Post Architects and KPS Group
Contractor: Walton Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a twelve story steel, glass and concrete structure. The first three stories have vertical dividers and vertical glass walls between. The east section is glass with an extended metal overhang at the roof line. The west section is white colored stone.
Parish Courthouse – Baton Rouge
Location: 222 St. Louis Street / Louisiana Avenue
Built: 1975 – 1977
Architect: Desmond-Miremont & Associates and Wilson & Coleman
Contractor: Charles Carter & Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a ten story steel, glass and concrete structure. The building faces east towards the old courthouse. The building has vertical concrete pillars with horizontal windows between. The upper part of the building extends outwards. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Governmental Building and houses The Parish Administration, Parish Courts and Baton Rouge City Hall.
Old Parish Courthouse – Baton Rouge
Location: 223 St. Louis Street / Louisiana Avenue
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Edward F Neild and C E Olshner
Contractor: Caldwell Brothers
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has eight square opening and a central entrance on the first story. Twelve columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with windows behind. The brick on the first story is horizontal. A balustrade runs along the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Henry Kean and F Arbour and constructed in 1857.
Photos taken 2011