Saint John the Baptist Parish is named for Saint John the Baptist, who was one of the disciples of Jesus Christ.
Created: March 31, 1807
Edgard 1807 – present
Parish Courthouse – Edgard
Location: 2393 Highway 18 / East 3rd Street
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: Thompson B Burk
Contractor: James A Eilan Jr., Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a one story brown colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has an open porch rising to a peaked roof. The main building extends east and west with few windows. The hipped roof is green colored tiles.
Note: The previous courthouse was built by T Peralto & Company in 1847. The building was renovated in 1938. The architect was Diboll, Boettner & Kissels.
S – Lafourche Parish
Photos taken 2011