East Carroll Parish

US States / H-L / Louisiana / East Carroll Parish
East Carroll

East Carroll Parish is named for Charles Carroll, who was the last surviving signer of the United States Declaration of Independence.

 

Surrounding Parish and County Courthouses: 

N – Chicot County, Arkansas and Issaquena County, Mississippi

E – Issaquena County, Mississippi

S – Madison Parish

W – Richland Parish and West Carroll Parish

 

Created:  March 28, 1877                       Map of Louisiana highlighting East Carroll Parish

Parish Seat  :        

Lake Providence  1877 – present

 

Parish Courthouse – Lake Providence 

 

Location:  100 1st Street / Hood Street

Built:  1937 – 1938

Style:  Art Deco and Classical Revival

Architect:  J W Smith and Associates

Contractor:  M T Reed Construction Company of Monroe

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lake Providence. The building has stone facing and large windows on the second story. The center section projects from the main building and has a central entrance on the first story. The section rises to a hipped roof. The courtroom is located on the north side of the second story. The building houses the District Court of the 6th Judicial District. The west side has an addition added. 

 

See:  The architect firm, J W Smith and Associates, designed many of  the courthouses in Louisiana. These courthouses are found in Caldwell Parish, Catahoula Parish, Jackson Parish, Madison Parish, Natchitoches Parish and Ouachita Parish.  Also, MT Reed Construction Company of Monroe was the contractor for the courthouses in Madison Parish and Natchitoches Parish.

 

Old Parish Courthouse – Lake Providence 

 

1008no11

 

Location:  398 Hood Street / 2nd Street

Built:  1900 – 1901

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  William Stanton and W A Stanton

Contractor:  Enochs-Havis Lumber Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lake Providence on the south side of the courthouse. The east front has a one story porch supported by four columns and with a balcony on the second story Above the balcony are three long vertical windows. At the northeast corner is a high square brick tower with steep roof. On the southeast corner is a square brick tower that rises to the roof line/ The roof is hipped. The building is now a museum.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Courthouse Square

 

Note:  Carroll Parish was created in 1838 with parish seat at Lake Providence. In 1855, the parish seat was moved to Floyd and a two story courthouse was built in 1856 to 1857. East Carroll Parish was created in 1877 and Lake Providence became the parish seat. The first courthouse was built in 1901 and is still standing. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1937 to 1939.

 

 

1013no11

Parish Courthouse – Lake Providence

 

 

1012no11

 

 

2130l19

 

 

1015no11

 

 

1016no11

 

 

1017no11

 

 

2132l19

 

 

2133l19

 

 

2134l19

 

 

2135l19

 

 

2136l19

 

 

2137l19

 

 

1009no11

Old Parish Courthouse – Lake Providence

 

 

1010no11

 

 

1011no11

Photos taken 2011 and 2019