Richland Parish is named for the rich land located in the Parish.
Created: September 29, 1868
Parish Seat :
Rayville 1868 – present
Parish Courthouse – Rayville
Location: 708 Julia Street / Madeleine Street
Built: 1950 – 1951
Architect: Smith Padgett and Stubbs
Contractor: J A Harper
Description: The building faces east and is a five story cream colored structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The central first story entrance on the east front is recessed. There are one story north and south wings. The roof line is flat. Wide steps descend from the building on the east side.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1881 and remodeled by architect Andrew J Bryan in 1904.
S – Caldwell Parish
Photos taken 2011