Chicot County

US States / A-G / Arkansas / Chicot County
0312M12

Chicot County is named for Point Chicot on the Mississippi River, and is thought to have come from the French word “stumpy” for the many cypress trees along the Mississippi River.

 

Created:  October 25, 1823

County Seat:

Villemont       1828 – 1838

Columbia       1838 – 1855

Masona         1855 – 1857

Lake Village   1857 – present

 

County Courthouse – Lake Village

 

Location:  108 Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1933 – 1956

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Herbert Voelker

Contractor:  Peterson Garbi & Joseph, Inc

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red-orange colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lake Village. The south front has a recessed center section with central entrance framed with stone. The windows are vertical with vertical dividers between. The east and west wings are lower than the main building. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in Lake Village in 1857. The second courthouse was a neoclassical structure designed by William Stanton & Son and constructed by Albert G Simms in 1907. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1956.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Desha County

E – Bolivar County, Mississippi, Washington County, Mississippi and Issaquena County, Mississippi

S – East Carroll Parish, Louisiana, West Carroll Parish, Louisiana ansd Morehouse Parish, Louisiana 

W – Ashley County and Drew County

 

 

 

0313m12

County Courthouse – Lake Village

 

 

0310m12

 

 

0311m12

 

 

0315m12

 

 

2162l19

 

 

2163l19

 

 

0316m12

 

 

0318m12

 

 

0320m12

 

 

0321m12

 

 

2157l19

Photos taken 2012 and 2019