Ouachita Parish is named for the Ouachita Native American people.
Created: April 10, 1805
Parish Seat :
Monroe 1807 – present
Parish Courthouse – Monroe
Location: 300 Saint John Street / Wood Street
Built: 1924 – 1925
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J W Smith and W H Land
Contractor: Caldwell Brothers
Description: The building faces east and is a four story gray stone structure. The east front has three central arches at the entrance on the first story. Above are eight columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. The roof is green. The building was renovated in 1956. The building was enlarged in 1967 to 1968. The architect was H H Land Architect Inc. and the contractor was Jessie F Heard & Sons Inc. Alterations were made on the fourth story in 2001. The architect was Herbert Land Architect Inc. and the contractor was Lincoln Builders Inc. On the south side of the building is the red colored brick Courthouse Annex.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1816. The previous courthouse was built by Hannan & Voss in 1883.
See: The architect firm, J W Smith and Associates, designed many of the courthouses in Louisiana. These courthouses are found in Caldwell Parish, Catahoula Parish, East Carroll Parish, Jackson Parish, Madison Parish and Natchitoches Parish
E – Richland Parish
S – Caldwell Parish
Photos taken 2011