Trigg County is named for Stephen Trigg, who was a military colonel at the Battle of Blue Licks, and who lived from 1744 to 1782.
Created: January 27, 1820
Warrington 1820 – 1821
Cadiz 1822 – present
County Justice Center – Cadiz
Location: 41 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 2007 – 2009
Style: Modern Romanesque
Architect: CMW Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The southeast front has an octagonal tower at each corner with octagonal roof. The central entrance projects from the main building and is one story. Above, the center section rises to a peak above the roof line. The sides of the building also have center sections rising to a peak above the roof line. The roof is hipped. The courtrooms are located on the third story.
Note: The court first met at the residence of Samuel Orr at Warrington. In 1821, the court met at the residence of Robert Baker in Cadiz and in the same year, the first courthouse was built by William Patterson at a cost of $1575. In 1831, the second courthouse was built by David Lotspeich at a cost of $2454. The third courthouse was built in 1865 by Pool & Boyd at a cost of $11,950. The fourth courthouse was built in 1882 by Cosby & Ladrum of Mayfield at a cost of $11,400. The fifth courthouse was designed by Frank P Milburn and constructed by Forbes Company in 1895. The building was destroyed by fire in 1920 and the sixth courthouse was designed by R W Hunt and constructed in 1922. In 2007, the building was demolished and replaced by the present seventh courthouse.
County Courthouse – Cadiz
Location: 38 Main Street / Monroe Street
Built: 1969 – 1970
Architect: Hartstern, Schnell, Cammpbell, Schadt, Associates of Louisville
Contractor: Quality Construction Company Inc. of Bedord
Description: The building faces northwest and is a one red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city across from the courthouse and was originally constructed as the Trigg County Farmers Bank. The northwest front has vertical concrete dividers between the vertical windows. The entrance is on the northwest corner and recessed. The south section of the building rises higher than the north section. The roof line is flat.
E – Christian County
S – Stewart County, Tennessee
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2012 and 2018