Caldwell County is named for John Caldwell, who was the Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky in 1804.
Created: January 31, 1809
Princeton 1809 – present
County Courthouse – Princeton
Location: 100 East Market Street / Jefferson Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Lawrence Casner of Madisonville
Contractor: Works Projects Administration using local trades
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray stone structure. The south front has three large rectangular sections with the doorway in the center section. There are two large Art Deco lamp pillars on either side of the south steps. Above near the roof is a clock. The east and west wings are lower than the main center section. Projecting from the walls are the heads of several presidents of the United States. The building was a Works Projects Administration project.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1865. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $178,997. The courthouse is similar to the courthouse in Webster County.
S – Trigg County
Photos taken 2007