Marshall County is named for John Marshall, who was the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme court from 1801 to 1835.
Created: February 12, 1842
Benton 1842 – present
County Courthouse – Benton
Location: 1101 Main Street / 11th Street
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Beaux Arts and Neo-Classical
Architect: Clifford Shopbell of Evansville, Indiana
Contractor: W H Spradling and William Hill of Fulton
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The west front has a protruding section with the entrance on the first story. Above the entrance is a small balcony and above that, a large window on the second story. White colored horizontal trim runs around the building and a further white colored trim cornice runs along the roof line. In 1961, an addition was added on the north side. In 1978, a further addition was added. The architect was LPS Architects and the contractor was Hal Perry Construction Company Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John McKinnon and constructed by M Lewman & Company in 1888. The building was destroyed by fire in 1914. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $24,000.
County Judicial Facility – Benton
Location: 80 Judicial Drive / Postal Drive
Built: 2002 – 2003
Architect: Castleberry, McGregor Architects
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces south and is a two story structure. The south front has a high center section with sloped roof and glass panels around the entrance. The second story is recessed, The roof line is flat. .
Note: The cost of construction of the Judicial Facility was $8,005,000.
S – Calloway County
Photos taken 2007 and 2012