Livingston County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Livingston County
1373K07

Livingston County is named for Robert Livingston, who was one of the Committee of Five that drafted the Declaration of Independence, and who lived from 1746 to 1813.

 

Created:  December 13, 1799

County Seat: 

Salem        1799 – 1842

Smithland  1842 – present

 

County Courthouse – Smithland

 

Location:  335 Court Street / Wilson Street

Built:  1842 – 1845

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  Preston Grace of Princeton

Contractor:  Preston Grace of Princeton

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The north front has a white colored stone arch at the doorway with black colored iron balcony above. The windows are arched. At the top of the building is a cross of white colored stone. On the center of the roof is a square white wood cupola. Additions were added.in the 1870′s. The architect was J F Frick. Further additions were added in the 1960′s.

 

County Justice Center – Smithland

 

066f15

 

Location:  122 West Adair Street / Court Street

Built:  2007 – 2009

Style:  Modern

Architect:  JRA Architects of Louisville

Contractor:  B H Green & Son of Paducah

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds with the old courthouse and administration building on the north side. The front has a projecting center section with two entrances on the first story, iron balcony on the second story and glass panels rising to the roof line. At the top is an octagonal cupola with dome. The building is tired with the main section forming north and south two story wings. The roof is hipped.

 

County Administration – Smithland

 

078f15

 

Location:  375 Court Street / Wilson Street

Built:  2000 – 2001

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Castleberry McGregor Swenford Architects

Contractor:  B H Green & Son of Paducah

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a projecting center section with two entrances on the first story, iron balcony on the second story and arched windows on the third story. At the top is a small pediment. The roof is hipped. The building is named as the Livingston County Public Office and Library. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Pope County, Illinois and Hardin County, Illinois

E – Crittenden County and Lyon County

S – Marshall County

W – McCracken County, Massac County, Illinois and Pope County, Illinois

 

 

 

x1_9

 

 

1371k07

 

 

1372k07

 

 

x_8

 

 

1375k07

 

 

070f15

 

 

069f15

 

 

068f15

 

 

075f15

 

 

076f15

 

 

077f15

 

 

1374k07

 

 

079f15

 

 

080f15

 

 

081f15

 

 

083f15

Photos taken 2007 and 2015