Christian County is named for William Christian, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1743 to 1786.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Hopkins County
Created: December 13, 1796
Hopkinsville 1796 – present
County Courthouse – Hopkinsville
Location: 511 South Main Street / East 6th Street
Built: 1869 – 1870
Style: Greek Revival with Italianate
Architect: J K Frick of Evanston, Indiana
Contractor: J K Frick of Evanston, Indiana
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the Hopkinsville. The east front has a large portico with stone arch base and supported by four white colored Doric columns above the first story rising to the pediment at the roof. White colored stone trim decorates the corners and white arched stone forms the window headers. The roof extends out from the top of the building. In the interior, staircases are found at either end of the main axis. The former courtroom which is now the Commissioners Room is located on the west side of the second story. The building was renovated in 1903. In 1960, the cupola was removed. The building was renovated in 1903. The cupola was removed in 1960 and additions were constructed.
See: The architect, J K Frick of Evanston, Indiana, also designed the courthouse in Union County.
County Justice Center – Hopkinsville
Location: 100 Justice Way / West 9th Street
Built: 2001 – 2002
Architect: Keith Sharp
Contractor: Beers Construction Company of Nashville, Tennessee.
Description: The building faces east and is a red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The long rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds on the west side of the center of Hopkinsville to the southwest of the courthouse. The east front has a large porch supported by six columns and with a recessed glass panel wall. The roof is hipped. The interior has a large rotunda with the statue of Lady Justice in the center and rising to the roof above the second story. The courtrooms are located off the rotunda on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County District Court of the 3rd Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1796 and Hopkinsville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1787. The second courthouse was built, The third courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1836 to 1838. The courthouse was destroyed during the Civil War in The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1869 to 1870 at a cost of $100,000. The County Justice Center was constructed in 2001 to 2002 at a cost of $17,740,000.
County Courthouse - Hopkinsville
County Justice Center - Hopkinsville
Photos taken 2007 and 2018