Taylor County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Taylor County
1202K07

Taylor County is named for Zachary Taylor, who was the President of the United States from 1849 to 1850.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Larue County and Marion County

E – Casey County and Adair County

S – Adair County

W – Green County

 

Created:  June 13, 1848                         Map of Kentucky highlighting Taylor County

County Seat: 

Campbellsville  1848 – present

 

County Courthouse – Campbellsville  

 

Location:  203 North Court Street / 1st  Street

Built:  1965 – 1966

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Marye and Bond

Contractor:  Bogg Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a three story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has metal framing around the windows and the entrance is recessed. Along the south side, the windows are narrow and vertical. There is a glass section rising to the third story, near the north front. The roof line is flat. On the southwest side is a large mural.  On the southwest side is the Old Clerk’s Office.

 

County Justice Center – Campbellsville  

 

1112k18

 

Location:  123 North Spalding Street / Hood Avenue

Built:  2007 – 2009

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Sherman Carter Barnhart

Contractor:  Codell Construction Company of Winchester

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a three story darkred colored brick, concrete and glass structure.  The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Campbellsville to the east of the courthouse. The northwest front has a high white colored portico supported by four columns on the outside and two columns on the inside. At the center is a square tower with oval window and rising to a white colored clock tower with clock and steep roofed dome at the top. On the east and west, the building projects and the main south part of the building extends east and west. The roof is hipped. The courtrooms are located on the second and third stories. Along the southeast side is the one story Detention Center.

 

See:  The contractor was Codell Construction Company of Winchester which company constructed many courthouse in Kentucky ( see  Louisville ).

 

History:  The county was created in 1848 and Campbellsville was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1848 to 1849. The courthouse was destroyed in 1864 during the Civil War. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1865. An addition was constructed in 1908. The courthouse was demolished when the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1965 to 1966. The County Justice Center was constructed in 2007 to 2009.

 

Old County Clerk’s Office – Campbellsville

 

Location:  203 North Columbia Street / 1st Street

Built:  1865 – 1865

Style:  Classical

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a one story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces southwest and was completed in 1866. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Campbellsville on the west side of the courthouse. The brick is laid in Flemish bond on the façade of the rectangular shaped building and common bond is on the sides. The windows have jack arches above and stone sills with six-over-six pane sash. The doorway is slightly recessed with a three-light transom above the two-paneled door. There is an unadorned entablature with projecting cornice at the roof line. The red colored roof is hipped. The interior has retained the original wide baseboards and Greek Revival door frames with corner blocks.

 

 

1201k07

County Courthouse – Campbellsville

 

 

1105k18

 

 

1106k18

 

 

1107k18

 

 

1203k07

 

 

1117k18

County Justice Center – Campbellsville

 

 

1118k18

 

 

1119k18

 

 

1113k18

 

 

1114k18

 

 

1115k18

 

 

1116k18

 

 

1120k18

 

 

1121k18

 

 

1122k18

 

 

1103k18

 

 

1110k18

 

 

1111k18

Photos taken 2007 and 2018