Henry County is named for Patrick Henry, who was a Revolutionary War patriot and who lived from 1736 to 1799.
Created: December 14, 1798
New Castle 1798 – present
County Courthouse – New Castle
Location: 30 North Main Street / East Cross Main Street
Built: 1874 – 1875
Style: Italianate and Second Empire
Architect: H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville
Contractor: Peter Pfeiffer
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is locatted on landscaped grounds. The west front has a small white portico supported by two thin columns. The windows on the second story are arched and above them are small round windows. Above the entrance rises a large square white colored cupola with clock. Atop the cupola is a steep black colored mansard roof with parapet. The building has a rusticated stone foundation. There are north and south wings which form at “T” shape with the main building extending east. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story. The jail extends on the east side.
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1804 burned in early 1870′s and the present courthouse was constructed on the same site. The building is the first major work of H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville.
See: The architect H P McDonald and Brothers of Louisville, Kentucky.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Henry County Courthouse and Jail
E – Owen County
Proposed County Judicial Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2018