Fayette County is named for Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette, who was a French general who fought in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1757 to 1834.
Created: May 1, 1780
Lexington 1789 – present
County Courthouse – Lexington
Location: 120 North Limestone Street / Main Street
Built: 1999 – 2001
Architect: Sherman-Carter-Barnhart, Hartman-Cox and Ricci & Associates
Contractor: Jacobs Facilities, Inc. and CRSS Constructors, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and consists of two buildings which are five story concrete and glass structures called the Robert F Stephens Courthouse Complex. The south building is the Fayette County Circuit Court and the north building is the Fayette County District Court. Courtroom lobbies are located on the exterior and overlook the public plaza.
Old County Courthouse – Lexington
Location: 215 West Main Street / North Upper Street
Built: 1898 – 1900
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Israel J Lehman and Theodore Schmitt of Cleveland
Contractor: Albert Howard and George Clarke of Lexington
Description: The building faces south and is a four story gray colored stone structure. The building is located on Courthouse Square and is a Greek cross shape. The south front has a projecting center section with arched entrance on the first story with small balcony above and rising to a peaked dormer at the roof line. Each side of the building has similar entrances. On the center of roof is a large square dome with clock and circular cupola at the top. The building is now the Lexington History Museum. The building served until 2001.
Note: Previous courthouses were built in 1788 and 1806. The cost of construction of the old courthouse was $187,181.
See: The architect, Israel J Lehman and Theodore Schmitt of Cleveland, Ohio, designed the courthouse in Ohio in Cuyahoga County.
County Administration – Lexington
Location: 200 East Main Street / Martin Luther King Street
Built: 1920 – 1921
Style: Commercial / Beaux Arts
Architect: Chris C Weber and E A Weber of Cincinnati and Fort Thomas
Contractor: Mason and Hanger
Description: The building faces north and is is a twelve story brick, stone, ceramic tile and metal structure. The building was formerly the Lafayette Hotel. The building is named as the Government Center and also houses the Lexington City offices.
N – Scott County
Photos taken 2007 and 2014