Lee County is named for Light Horse Harry Lee, who was a Revolutionary War general and a governor of Virginia.
Created: October 25, 1792
Jonesville 1792 – present
County Courthouse – Jonesville
Location: 5 Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1933 – 1934
Architect: D R Beeson
Contractor: V L Nicholson & Company of Tennessee
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a portico with four columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. There is a small portico on the north side. A wide belt runs bellow the roof line with a cornice. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed on the south side in 1978. The addition descends the slope to the west. The architect was Beeson, Lusk & Jones and the contractor was Bob Smith Construction Company.
Note: The previous courthouse constructed in 1865 was destroyed by fire on February 13, 1933.
County Board Office – Jonesville
Location: Institute Street / Park Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was originally the Jonesville Institute. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The south front has a projecting center section with recessed entrance on the first story and large window on the second story. The building sits on the slope of a hill with landscaped grounds.
E – Scott County
County Board Office
Photos taken 2013