Bell County is named for Joshua Fry Bell, who was a Kentucky legislator from 1862 to 1867.
Created: February 28, 1867
Pineville 1867 – present
County Courthouse – Pineville
Location: 101 Courthouse Square / Pine Street
Built: 1919 – 1920
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: John W. Gaddis of Indiana
Contractor: Moraw Building Company of Chicago, Illinois.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The north front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to the pediment at the roof line. In the center of the pediment is a clock. A white horizontal band runs below the projecting cornice near the roof line. In 1944 a fire gutted the building.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by H P McDonald Brothers of Louisville in 1888 and was destroyed by fire in 1914.
County Judicial Center – Pineville
Location: 101 Park Avenue / Pine Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Vaughan & Melton of Middleboro
Contractor: W B Browning Construction Company of Pineville
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story dark brown colored brick structure. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Farmer Helton Judicial Center.
Photos taken 2007 and 2014