Scott County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Scott County
0939VM13

Scott County is named for Winfred Scott, who was a native of Virginia and was known for his victories during the War of 1812.

 

Created:  November 24, 1814

County Seat: 

Gate City  1814 – present

 

County Courthouse – Gate City 

 

Location:  202 West Jackson Street / Manville Road

Built:  1828 – 1829

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  James Toncray

Contractor:  James Toncray

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The southeast front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance has a small pediment above. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored cupola with black colored dome. The roof is hipped. An addition was constructed in 1890. In 1929 the portico was added by Pyle Brothers. The north and south wings were constructed in 1968. The wings have a flat roof line.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1817. The present courthouse is the oldest standing courthouse in southwestern Virginia.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Wise County

E – Russell County and Washington County

S – Sullivan County, Tennessee, Hawkins County, Tennessee and Hancock County, Tennessee

W – Lee County and Wise County

 

 

 

0938vm13

 

 

0940vm13

 

 

0941vm13

 

 

0942vm13

 

 

0943vm13

 

 

0945vm13

 

 

0946vm13

 

 

0947vm13

 

 

0944vm13

Photos taken 2013