Harlan County is named for Silas Harlan, who was a soldier in the Battle of Blue Licks, and who lived from 1753 to 1782.
Created: January 28, 1819
Harlan 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Harlan
Location: 210 East Central Street / First Street
Built: 1918 – 1922
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: C C Weber and E A Weber
Contractor: E G Holladay Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story brick, concrete and gray colored Indiana limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is faced with Indiana limestone. The north front has a high portico supported by four tall stone columns rising to the pediment at the roof. A stone balustrade runs along the roof line. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was renovated in 2014 using prison labor.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Moses W Howard and constructed in 1886.
County Judicial Center – Harlan
Location: 129 First Street / Court Street
Built: 2003 – 2004
Architect: Lyle & Associates
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brick, concrete and glass structure. The first story has three large arches along the west front and four arches along the south side. Vertical pilasters divide the windows with a high two story windows on the second and third stories of the west front. The roof line is flat. .
S – Lee County, Virginia
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2014