Grand Isle County is named for the largest island in Lake Champlain.
Created: November 8, 1802
North Hero 1802 – present
County Courthouse – North Hero
Location: 3451 US Highway 2 / Northland Lane
Built: 1824 – 1825
Architect: Joseph M Mott, Nathan Strong and James Mott.
Contractor: Joseph M Mott, Nathan Strong and James Mott.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored native marble from Isle Motte structure. The east front has a small one story porch supported by two columns and rising to a hipped roof. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored cupola. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled at 1903. On the west side is a white colored wood addition constructed in 1988. On the south side a wood frame house was built or moved and attached to the courthouse in 1903.
Note: The Committee comprised of Lewis Sowles, Charles Carron, Samuel Adams, Joel Allen and Calvin Fletcher supervised the construction. The Isle La Motte Marble was supplied by Joseph Bowman. The total cost of construction was $3265.
Note: The first courthouse was the Jed P Ladd hotel which was used until a courthouse was built in 1824.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Grand Isle County Courthouse
N – Quebec, Canada
W – Clinton County, New York
Photos taken 2014