Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was one of the founding fathers of the United States.
Created: November 5, 1792
Saint Albans 1789 – present
Old County Courthouse – Saint Albans
Location: 17 Church Street / Bank Street
Built: 1873 – 1874
Style: Italianate / Classical
Architect: Edgar C Ryer of Burlington
Contractor: Franklin County Building Commission
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and white colored wood frame structure. The west front has square red colored brick tower with white colored square cupolas on each corner. The center section projects slightly and has a entrance on the first story. The second story has arched windows. The north side has a one story porch. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1800 to 1803. The second courthouse was built in 1849 to 180 and burned in the 1860’s. The cost of construction of the present old courthouse was $75,000, which exceeded the original budgeted amount of $35,000.
See: The architect, Edgar C Ryer also designed the old courthouse in Chittenden County, which has now been demolished.
County Courthouse – Saint Albans
Location: 36 Lake Street / Catherine Street
Built: 1988 – 1990
Architect: Alexander, Truex and DeGroot Inc. of Burlington
Contractor: Spates Construction of Newport
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a central arched entrance. There are large square sections with green colored roofs above the entrance and on the east and west sides. The east and west sections of the building project slightly from the main building. The base of the building is concrete. The roof line is flat.
Note: During construction, Pinkham Engineering Associates of Burlington were the civil engineers. Doherty Consulting of South Burlington provided structural engineering and N F Lawrence and Associates Inc. of Northborough, Massachusetts were the mechanical and electrical engineers.
N – Quebec, Canada
E – Orleans County
Photos taken 2014