Lamoille County is named for the French word “La Mouell” meaning the “seagull” and named by French explorer Samuel de Champlain.
Created: October 26, 1835
Hyde Park 1835 – present
County Courthouse – Hyde Park
Location: 150 Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1910 – 1912
Style: Colonial Revival and Romanesque
Architect: Nicholas and Parker
Contractor: Roger William Hulburd of Hyde Park
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town. The north front has a one story porch supported by four columns and with balcony on the second story. On the northeast corner is a high square clock tower with steep roof. On the northwest corner is a shorter square tower. The second story windows are arched. The roof is hipped. The large courtroom is located on the second story. On the west side of the courthouse is the two story red colored brick old Sheriff Residence.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1836 and burned in 1910. The cost of construction of the present courthouses was $100,000.
Old Sheriff Residence
Photos taken 2014 and 2018