Chittenden County is named for Thomas Chittenden, who was the first governor of Vermont in 1991 to 1797.
Created: October 22, 1789
Burlington 1789 – present
County Courthouse – Burlington
Location: 175 Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1903 – 1907
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: James Knox Taylor
Description: The building faces north and is a white colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The first story has horizontal stone. Six sets of double columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story. The roof line is flat with a balustrade. The building was constructed as a United States Post Office and later became the Army Reserve Center before transfer to the county in 1974. The building was renovated in 1974 for use as a courthouse. The architect was Ralph P Branson of Burlington.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Edgar C Ryer of Burlington and built in 1871 to 1872 and stood on the south side of the present courthouse. The building was demolished.
See: Edgar C Ryer also designed the old courthouse in Franklin County.
Criminal Courthouse – Burlington
Location: 32 Cherry Street / Pine Street
Built: 1966 – 1968
Style: Modern Brutalist
Architect: Linde-Hubbard Associates of Burlington ( Burlington Associates )
Description: The building faces south and is a four story red-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the west side of the city center. The south front has three rectangular openings on the west side and horizontal windows on the second and third floors. The east section has a recessed section on the first story and horizontal windows on the second to fourth stories. The building rises to a square clock tower. Along the west side of the building is a section with three rectangular openings. The building is names as the Judge Edward J Costello Courthouse.
S – Addison County
Photos taken 2014 and 2018